CB400F / RD350 / CB750F DOHC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CB400F / RD350 / CB750F DOHC

Post  TWINFIN on Wed 16 Dec - 13:18

Hello International Bikers!!!
Well here's my stash. Soon as the economy gets better and i have some funds available i would like to finish the Rd350 and the 400-Four!
Ive only recently (within the last couple years) been able to get two of my three "lost loves" back (my third love is in Sweden and she's Blond ;o} ). It takes longer these days to find affordable bikes because the prices/values have sure increased since the yester-years on these older Gems. So i had to watch and wait for the rite ones to come around (the ones that aren't running).
I never have much money, so i tend to buy projects!! Things that don't work ...at first that is. Ive been this way since i was Twelve back in '77 when it all started with an X-race prepped '73 Honda XR75 (poked and stroked to 116cc). I bought it not running with weed picking money i saved. Then I got a manual and learned how to read it and wrench away. Now I'm 44 ...and well still feel like a kid when it comes to this stuff! I like to work on these as much as i like to ride'em.
These are the bikes i have always had a passion for and have owned several since i was in high school. Yamaha RD's and the Honda CB400-Fours!! This time I'm not getting rid of them! I paid $300 for the 400-4 this last Fall.

Back in the '80s I had a friend who worked at a local Honda Shop and knew i liked the 400-4's so he turned me onto some old parts stored in a shed behind one of there older shops. Among the parts i got was a 400-4 bored to a 500 with a hole in one of the pistons, a Head ported by Kaz Yoshima and one of his cam's to go with it. Then after that i looked up Ontario Motorworks from a Cycle magazine I had (back when they were in business) and gave them a call to ask for advice on building a street-able pumped up bike. Low and behold Kaz answered the phone, and well ...yeah i got excited!! Didn't think i would talk to him personally. I told him about the head i had of his and the 500cc bike and he said to get the 460 Yoshimura Piston kit instead. Said the 500 pistons were too heavy for the wrist pins in the 400. Then told me that he had a few more of his Exhaust Header's left. I had no money when i called and no intentions of buying any thing either. But when he said he only had a "few", well I pulled out the evil credit card ...BAM! Probably one of the few times i don't regret using one (i no longer have a credit card these days). Just found the receipt for the pipe recently!! Since then i was able to get another pipe of Kazuo's. This one is like the one on the front of the old Clymer Manual for the CB400F's!! Different from the more modern looking one i bought from him at the end of the '80s.
Well Ive been saving all my period performance goodies for years in a large Tupperware container just waiting for another chance at building these bikes. When i sell a bike i keep that stuff. The RD has the Chambers and DG Gold Anodized Starburst Radial Heads etc.

I also just got an abandoned '82 CB750F DOHC chassis and engine last week. I'm not sure what i'm gonna do with it? It's gonna take some time locating all the stuff that was stripped from it. I just couldn't stand seeing it sitting there on the side of the road waiting for the rain to come! That and i come from a long lineage of dumpster divers!!
Now i need to make cafe seats, strip all the extra weight off and put my saved up arsenal of period performance goodies on them both. Would like to change the forks on the 400-four to larger cb550 or 750 ones and go with dual front Disks or an old large racing drum brake (230mm +) up front. I still have to finish my Powder Coating Oven that i'm making out of a tall single door cooler cabinet ...that way i can fit a frame in there etc.
Here's a couple photos of the bikes to be and another of my packed shop where all the magic will someday hopefully happen.

I gotta say that you guys are all an inspiration to me. Ive spent some time looking at your work and it's all great! Thanks for sharing your builds!
-Damon

TWINFIN
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CB400F / RD350 / CB750F DOHC

Post  Gss on Wed 16 Dec - 13:32

Thats what I call ''love for motorcycles"
And I'm jealous of that Tupperware Box!

Good luck with all your projects and builds!
I'm sure anyone here on this forum will help if help is needed! Very Happy

Gss
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  650zed on Thu 17 Dec - 11:51

Damon, that's really great to hear all this...! Keep on!
And your garage absolutely looks like Paradise to me.
Keep us posted!

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator

View user profile http://www.z650.12r.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckyboy on Fri 18 Dec - 3:56

Hi Damon,... I think we know were you coming from, yeah :)
Hey buddy, wages have gone up more than old bike prices...
I just get some shitty job doing anything, is more than enough to cary on ok...
Hey GoodLuck, you the Man !!

Luckyboy
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kornfed on Fri 18 Dec - 10:41

I really like the RD350 whith his beautyfull orange colour.
Very nice.
kornfed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallace on Sun 20 Dec - 0:55

Good luck with the builds.
Wallace

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/wallace_world

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content