Another Honda CB550 K3 café racer...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another Honda CB550 K3 café racer...

Post  Rocker on Fri 29 Jan - 20:59

Hi guys (and girls?)

About a year ago I bought my first classic bike with the intention of rebuilding it into a café racer...
Being a student, with not too much money or time to spare, this will be a long term project.
So untill now I haven't really done that much, but I thought to start up my own topic allready, so I can ask you guys for your opinion/advise on some topics...
Anyway, this is how I bought the bike:

The previous owners tried to build a caféracer aswell, but failed to do it properly... the seat was held together with ductape, the frame, gastank and some other parts were painted without removing them from the bike (result: paint everywhere) the carbs where never cleaned judging by the looks of it... one solid mass :s
some parts are missing, rust everywhere, I think is was very badly maintained... in other words: lots of work

I started cleaning the carbs: put them in a ultrasonic bath (two times, one time with accid, other with base) then polished them, bought new screws and bolds (inox) and new gaskets (only I just found out the gasket set I bought is the wrong one :s need to order a new set some time...)

next up was taking the bike apart and send the frame to be sandblasted and powdercoated, I like the result!

The frame was originally black, then painted red Question and after that it was painted black again, but without covering up other parts affraid

Also polished the frontfork (still need to change the oil and gaskets)

So this is where I'm at right now... I have to order some parts before I can go on, but I don't have enough money for it right now, so it will have to wait...
I want to finish the frame first and then start on the engine and electrical circuit...
Now I'm also looking for someone who can help me/give me some tips on how to polish some other parts that are not so easy to do with a metalbrush and a drill Rolling Eyes like the hub from the front and rear wheel and some parts form the engine. Anyone any ideas?
I'm also looking for a longer gastank (like on the RC166, but not painted, want to polish it and a replica of course) and a 'ducktail' seat. Anyone an idea on where can I find this?

Well,that's it for now
grtzzz Rocker

Rocker
Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Honda CB550 K3 café racer...

Post  TinTin on Fri 29 Jan - 23:12

looking good, you're going the right way! keep us posted on progress and questions
TinTin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallace on Mon 1 Feb - 0:36

There's something really cool about a fresh painted (powder coated) frame. Nice job on the forks.
Wallace

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/wallace_world

Back to top Go down

Post  Rocker on Thu 28 Jul - 16:38

So, it has been a while since I updated the progress on my bike. To be honest, I haven't done that much, cause I want to do it right and that seems to cost a lot of money :p
Right now I'm having a dilemma: should I powdercoat the rims in black or should I leave them in chrome?
The inside of the rims where quite rusty, but the outside looks ok. When you look closer you can see some pitting in the chrome and on some places it has some rust.
So help me out here: powdercoat them or just leave it...??? (not just because of the rust, but do you think black wheels look good (on a black bike)?)
Afterwards I'll get some new spokes in the wheels, in inox Very Happy
btw: should I first replace the bearings in the hubs (while they are disassebled) or should I do this afterwards?

When my 'rolling frame' is finished I'll upload some picuters
grtzzz Rocker

Rocker
Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toecutter on Thu 28 Jul - 19:03

First , nice job on the carbs and the forks, looks fantastic. I dont know about powdercoating the rims, i like chrome rims.... my rims have a lil' pitting too but i think one can polish that away.

Black rims on a black cb is very cool too , just gotta make the decesion.

succes m8 !

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nice approach

Post  desautdw on Fri 29 Jul - 2:23

I like the black powder coated rims. Also a "easy out" reverse bit into a drilled hole should get head bolts out.
desautdw
Speed Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum