XCANUC's XS400 project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

XCANUC's XS400 project

Post  XCANUC on Sun 7 Feb - 20:02

Well I finally picked up the main bike for my project. The plan is to get it certifiable and then start the project. There is a lot of cleaning to be done to start. Then the list so far for certification is tires (on order), brakes (need), front brake caliper rebuild (trying to order), carb rebuild (on order), throttle cable (have), and carb boots (need).

After that I will still need the normal stuff like a seat and bars to start. Here are some pics of the main bike in black and the parts bike in red. I need to clean out the garage because I am out of space.

So I had a hard time decided to either build a cafe bike or a brat bike but with 2 bikes I think I will be covered. The black bike is going to be a cafe bike and the red is going to be a brat bike. I found a cheap tank and picked it up for the brat style bike.

Hopefully it will warm up a little soon so I can get started.
Steve
XCANUC
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: XCANUC's XS400 project

Post  Toecutter on Sun 7 Feb - 20:32

succes with the building , indeed i see its snowy and cold over there, let there be sun !!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  XCANUC on Sun 21 Feb - 2:09

Thanks Toe. It was really cold here for way too long. It actually got up to 1 degree Celsius today so I got out and did some work, thinking and some drinking. Not necessarily in that order. LOL

Here are some updated pics with what got done today.

I stripped it down to this and cut down the sub frame.

Here is a pic with the stock tank and seat.

Here is a pic with just the tank.

The plan was to use the stock tank and put a fiberglass tail on it but I don't know if I will like the look with the tank. I have to have a few more beers and think about it. I really don't want to have to buy a tank. This is supposed to be a low budget project.

I found out that the steering stop broke off the frame so I will need to weld a new one on. Should I worry about warping the steering head with the heat from welding?

There is some crap on the fork tubes. What will be the best way of removing it without damaging the forks?

I am putting some clip ons on it so I will have these holes in the top triple clamp. Any ideas on how to fill or cover them? They are 32mm.

The plan is to take the rear end off the parts bike because it has a rear disk brake. Here is the parts rear end.

Here is the stock rear end.

The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to get some more done. I have a week off in 2 weeks. So the plan is to kick ass then and get it up and running and certified. Then I can start with the cafe mods.

Steve
XCANUC
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  XCANUC on Sun 21 Feb - 4:35

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Does anyone know how I can vent this? It was connected to the cross tube between the carbs on the boot from the carb to the airbox. Can I just vent it to air or a filter? Or do I need a catch can?

Thanks.
Steve
XCANUC
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  andreas on Sun 21 Feb - 11:04

Hi Steve , if the craps are destroy the chromsurface - no chance to repair - or you lost to much money. I`m sure, that they have the same dimension like SR 500 forktubes. If you want - measure them and send the datas to me.
i can say exactly if it works. The other way - buy a pair new! If you try to "rechrome" and "newchrom" the tubes, you must grind and polish them on mirror surface - not an easy job. In Germany i can try to get a "selfrepair" book
for the 360/400 xs models - and send it to you. Have a look on www.xs360.g-eggers.de - he bought two old bikes
from me and start a rebuild - so you can contact him - and maybe the pics help you. I mean you need a filter on the motorvent - and an empty beertin

Pic in front of my house, before i bring them to "Gerold" the new owner.

Andreas
andreas

View user profile http://www.retrospeedstyle61.de

Back to top Go down

Post  TinTin on Sun 21 Feb - 11:22

motorvent... you have special K&N filters for that http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm

if it puts out much oil you need a beer can to catch it there is something not healthy in your engine... Shocked
TinTin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  XCANUC on Sun 21 Feb - 18:01

TinTin wrote:motorvent... you have special K&N filters for that http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm

if it puts out much oil you need a beer can to catch it there is something not healthy in your engine... Shocked

Thanks Tin. I was hoping it would be that easy.

Steve
XCANUC
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  XCANUC on Sun 21 Feb - 18:27

andreas wrote:Hi Steve , if the craps are destroy the chromsurface - no chance to repair - or you lost to much money. I`m sure, that they have the same dimension like SR 500 forktubes. If you want - measure them and send the datas to me.
i can say exactly if it works. The other way - buy a pair new! If you try to "rechrome" and "newchrom" the tubes, you must grind and polish them on mirror surface - not an easy job. In Germany i can try to get a "selfrepair" book
for the 360/400 xs models - and send it to you. Have a look on www.xs360.g-eggers.de - he bought two old bikes
from me and start a rebuild - so you can contact him - and maybe the pics help you. I mean you need a filter on the motorvent - and an empty beertin

Pic in front of my house, before i bring them to "Gerold" the new owner.

Andreas

The chrome on the forks aren't too bad. There is just some crap where the triples clamped on. I am just worried about damaging the chrome when trying to clean them off.

Thank you for the offer. I would love the self repair book as long as it is in English. I unfortunately do not know a single word in German. I looked the other day but only found the owners manual and have just forgotten to look again. Too busy with mid term exams next week.

Steve
XCANUC
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  andreas on Sun 21 Feb - 18:56

Hi Steve,
sorry but the book is in German. The tubes are 35mm ?? - i have 5 pairs SR tubes in very good condition. So think about. To send them to you is not a big thing.
Andreas
andreas

View user profile http://www.retrospeedstyle61.de

Back to top Go down

Post  XCANUC on Sun 21 Feb - 19:10

andreas wrote:Hi Steve,
sorry but the book is in German. The tubes are 35mm ?? - i have 5 pairs SR tubes in very good condition. So think about. To send them to you is not a big thing.
Andreas

Thanks for the offer but they are 33mm. You are very kind.

Back out to the garage. Hopefully I can get a little more done today.

Steve
XCANUC
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marc on Thu 25 Feb - 11:29

Nice base for a cafe!! I will follow this project Cool
marc

View user profile

Back to top Go down