Orange Zed 650

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Orange Zed 650

Post  wannabe caferacer on Sat 27 Mar - 18:24

I was tired of my old beemer so i sold it. I had no idea what i should buy to replace it, and searched all the advertising sites for a new bike. I had visited some people to see a bike but it wasn't exactly what i wanted. I came back home, and opened one of those advertising sites again, and there she was. Immediatly made an appointment to see her and the next day i went to the guy who sold her. She looked beautifull in her bright orange color. Her aluminum engine a bit corroded, the spokes a bit rusty, but she still had class. She hadn't been running for a while and didn't start right away, but when she did she ran perfect. She was purring like a satisfied cat but i knew she could growl like a tiger with that exhaust pipe. I made a little test drive and she did everything right, running so smooth as i never experianced before. And we knew we were meant for eachother. And here she is:

The first owner bought her at Kruizinga's motorcenter, some of you Dutch guys will remember that bike shop. Many years ago i bought my helmet, wich i still use, at this bike shop.

The guy who sold her to me didn't do the rebuild, but the guy he bought her from had rebuild her as a café racer. But unfortunatly he put the original parts back when he sold her. This is how she looked like just after the rebuild:

So i will turn her into a real café again. I have the name and adress of the guy who rebuild her, maybe he still has the M handlebars and that exhaust system. The Marshall muffler is leaking but sounds great. But the pipe is leaking because of rust so i have to replace this pipe anyway. One of the indicator lights is missing, and i'm thinking of taking them off. I don't use these things anyway. First of all, she needs some maintanance. New engine oil, brake fluids etcetera. She already has a brandnew battery and a brandnew drive chain with sprockets.
Does anyone have a workshop manual lying around? In Dutch preferably.
wannabe caferacer
Veteran Racer

View user profile http://home.planet.nl/~dijk7262

Back to top Go down

Re: Orange Zed 650

Post  Toecutter on Sun 28 Mar - 0:21

Damn man you sound like a real poet there , as i was reading your first post i was immediately sucked into the experience. Its always a thrill to ride a bike your about to buy. She looks quite ok on the outside , as you say she runs fine and no major probs. Is this a whole new project from strip till down ??

p.s. : the second photo , the stance and the mean look of the bike , awesome!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wannabe caferacer on Sun 28 Mar - 1:02

It won't be nessesary to strip her down and rebuild her, as this has happend in 2004 and since then she didn't ride much. So the paint is as new and so is the frame. Just the chrome parts are a bit rusty, especially the spokes. And the engine runs beautifull, without any noises like a rattling camchain or ticking noises. It's absolutely quiet, or does that mean there IS something wrong. Shocked
Anyway, i did buy her to finally be able to ride lots of kilometers with it without much repairs.
wannabe caferacer
Veteran Racer

Back to top Go down

Post  Toecutter on Sun 28 Mar - 22:49

Okay , when theres no noise and rattle it must be in great condition Cool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  650zed on Mon 29 Mar - 15:08

Hey, I can't believe this!!!... At last, another z650 in the forum!!!

Very nice one. It's a B 2 or 3, from 1979, I guess?

I have the original maintenance book, in Dutch. I want to keep it, but I could send it to you by post, so you can copy it (without damaging it if possible) and send it back afterwards.
Otherwise, I think I saw one on marktplaats lately, for 10 euros, something like that.

If you look for an exhaust, I have a black 4 in 1 marshall on my own z650, in a good condition, and I'm looking for a trade: my black one for a chrome one.
But if yours is leaking...

Anyway, I've experienced lots of fun and lots of problems with 3 different z650's during the last 17 years, so don't hesitate to ask if you encounter some troubles: maybe I will not be able to help, maybe I will!

Have fun!
In Zed we trust!

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator

View user profile http://www.z650.12r.org

Back to top Go down

Post  wannabe caferacer on Mon 29 Mar - 19:53

Hi 650zed, i knew you would like this.
She is a B2 from 1978 with just 64000 KM's on the clock. Today i checked the sparkplugs and all four were exactly thesame. The carb's are perfectly syncronised although an ittiebittie rich. But with open airfilters it's better too rich then too poor. She still has contactbreaker points and they look as new. First change has happend, i took the indicator lights off, she looks even more classic now. The headlight clamps are a bit rusty so they need to be replaced, aswell with the handle bars. And it seems the thingy where the brakefluid is in, has been leeking. So the paint is coming off and the brakelever looks dirty and corroded.
Thanks for the offer 650zed, but my four pipes are not so nice and shiny anymore so you wouldn't like it, aswell with the leaking muffler. But i'm not in a hurry to replace that. I will buy a workshop manual from Marktplaats, but if there is something that i don't understand i'll ask you.
wannabe caferacer
Veteran Racer

Back to top Go down

Post  650zed on Tue 30 Mar - 11:07

That sounds all pretty good.
Just one little thing: check the brake liquid (front brake, at least) as soon as possible, as you don't know what happened to the bike before. It only takes 1 minute and 4 little screws to open the master cylinder and to take a look.
On my last one, I trusted the guy and started immediately to give gas. Only months later, I thought about opening the master cylinder affraid the liquid was nearly black, very old, but even worse: the rubber membrane that's supposed to maintain the liquid inside was completely rotten and tiny little parts of rubber were threating to go down in the circuit... Dangerous game.

I've always seen that the paint was a bit corroded underneath the master cylinder at the front, on my own Zeds. A little bit, at least. Maybe because the liquid comes out a bit when I check inside, maybe also because of tiny little leaks on the top. I check regularly the level, so it's ok. That doesn't necessarily mean that you must change the master cylinder...
But if you think that you have a real leak, then it could be a good idea to take it off, disassemble it, clean it and check it. I think you can buy complete reparation sets with gaskets and parts for this. Otherwhise you can get yourself another one, complete and second hand. Or new, of course. Anyway, don't take any chances, it's essential. And when you buy a "new" bike like this, it's always a good idea to replace the brake liquid as soon as possible.
That's what I do now, every time: I put new brake fluid, new oil, new air filter, new plugs. I check also the main screws, if they are not damaged, if they are thightened enough, etc. : on the front and back wheels, underneath the front fork, etc. You never know... Like this, I know that this is all good.

The air filters look really cool. I don't know so much about the carbs adjustement you need for them, but as the carbs are already tuned, it's all cool! I heared from many Z people who experienced that, that the original airbox (for the air filter) is better because it gives better performances of the cylinders and makes you use less gas, but I don't know this by myself... Anyway, you have them already on, so the jets must already be the correct size. Nice one!

No problem for the exhaust, I'm still busy with other things anyway.

Keep us posted about the project!

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  650zed on Thu 8 Apr - 9:39

How is the six-and-half doing?

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  wannabe caferacer on Fri 9 Apr - 21:25

She is doing great! I've made some trips on her and she rides like a dream! Last week i took her to my favorit route with lots of turns, and it's a real pleasure to ride through the bends and turns. And she starts with one kick, everytime. I can't understand why the japanese build electric starters on their bikes. Anyway, i've bought an M handlebars and did some RX7 in the inner tube. These tubes like to rust and there was already some light rust showing. Because these zed's have the wires going through the handlebars originally, and i don't want to drill holes in my handlebars, i'm thinking on removing the switch bloks completely. I don't have indicator lights anyway, don't need the horn with this exhaust pipe, don't need the starter or the kill switch. I can connect the wires of the head and tail light on the ignition. Then i just need one switch for the hi and low beam of the headlight. And i need to figure out how i'm gonna change the connection between the gascable and twistgrip. And a different brake reservoir.
wannabe caferacer
Veteran Racer

Back to top Go down

Post  wannabe caferacer on Sun 28 Oct - 13:30

In life things are always changing. Well, for me anyway. I am very quiet on this forum as i don't have much time for it anymore. I became a moderator on an other (big) forum, and i met a lovely woman who now is my wife. She comes from England and grew up with English motorbikes. Her father and two brothers were riding motorbikes and she spend many hours on the back. My wife doesn't ride herself. She liked riding bikes, but because she is a bit unstable with keeping her balance, she doesn't trust herself on the back of a motorcycle. My wife and i spend almost all our time together, and going riding my bike alone is not fun anymore, i miss her company. So for the last year my Zed was left in the shed and i have no plans in riding it. Therefore i put it up for sale, so hopefully some enthousiast will buy it and give it some tender loving care.No, i won't regret it, leaving it abandoned is a waste, and knowing that someone else is riding it again gives me a better feeling. The Zed was made for riding. This doesn't mean i leave bikes alone. We are planning to make a workshop of our storage room, so my wife and i can be creative there. My wife knows how to use tools too, and doesn't mind dirty hands. Where do you find a wife like that? Very Happy
wannabe caferacer
Veteran Racer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top