Honda RC162 Replica cafe racer

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Honda RC162 Replica cafe racer

Post  RC162 on Wed 26 May - 21:54

Hi there
A while back I posted my bike on this forum when there was a bit of work needed to complete it, well now all the bits are made and the paintwork done. It is a great ride on the track and a little frantic on the road but when it hits the red line at 18000 rpm it always make me smile. It's 4 years work and I hope you like it.

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Honda RC162 Replica cafe racer

Post  mg on Thu 27 May - 0:44

very nice machine
did you use a cbr 250 rr engine?
that engine gives a super sound
mg
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RC162 on Thu 27 May - 8:45

Hi there
Yes it is a CBR250R MC19 engine from 1988. Getting it to run well on the standard carbs without any airbox or filters took a little bit of time and thought but I found the answer in the end. If you would like to hear it running on track then here are a couple of links to YouTube where I posted some on bike video while at a classic event in France last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lSv0oJ_mXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6N8ARdh6g

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mg on Fri 28 May - 23:45

nice video's
mg
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wannabe caferacer on Sun 30 May - 17:18

Great bike! Do you ride it on the public roads with those pipes?
There is a Dutch guy, Jan Huberts, who is an old grand prix rider, who owns a replica of the RC162, but his bike has the aircooled engine. It is thesame bike he used to race with in the early sixties. He was at the Biker's classics last year and the sound of that bike is incredible. Here's a short clip from another event:
wannabe caferacer
Veteran Racer

View user profile http://home.planet.nl/~dijk7262

Back to top Go down

Post  RC162 on Sun 30 May - 19:11

Hi there
Yep it runs on the road but I have inserts in the pipes that bring the noise down to just over 100db but with them removed it makes 122db which sadly I only get to hear when I run it in France at the Trophees Gerard Jumeaux classic event and at the Festival of 1000 bikes at Mallory Park in the UK. I have seen the video before with Jan Huberts but I don't know what the engine is. I would be interested to know what engine he is running in the bike. I have just removed all the road parts as we are off to the TGJ event next week. I have made a few improvements for this year so I hope to get round a bit quicker than before.

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herre on Fri 4 Jun - 23:48

Man this bike has got to be one of my all time favourite bikes. Endless respect for the build!
herre
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gss on Sat 5 Jun - 15:48

herre wrote:Man this bike has got to be one of my all time favourite bikes. Endless respect for the build!

what herre said! Razz
Gss
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Honda RC162

Post  Etepet on Tue 8 Jun - 9:44

Hi,
I am also starting to build a RC162 replica for circuit use. I have a complte CBR250 bike, and are interested to know how you got the original carbs running without airfilterbox and open exhausts. I hear from many people that it is not possible, and that the engine will not rev to the max. They say you need Keihin slide carbs to make the RC 162 run properly. Looks like you know better. Can you explain what the secret and critical points are?
Thanks Eddie

Etepet
Lazy Racer

View user profile http://www.amexpo.nl

Back to top Go down

Post  RC162 on Tue 8 Jun - 12:27

Hi Eddie
I am only too happy to help you with your build. Can you let me know what model CBR250 you have as the later models had flat slide carbs and mine are round slides ( MC19 model ) If you give me your engine number I can tell from this. Here are a couple of photos from this weekend when we went to a parade event in France called the Trophees Gerard Jumeaux. Sunny on saturday but lots of rain on sunday.

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toecutter on Tue 8 Jun - 20:10

Congrats on all the hard work , great action photo's Cool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Etepet on Wed 9 Jun - 19:03

I have a Mc 22 CBR 250RR, so I look forward to your carburettor tips.

Etepet
Lazy Racer

View user profile http://www.amexpo.nl

Back to top Go down

Post  RC162 on Wed 9 Jun - 20:25

Hi Eddie
Your cbr250 has flat slides in the carbs but mine are the earlier round slides and it is this type that I have been able to make work. I do know a set up for the type of carb you have and is : Main jet 145 - Needle requires 2 more washers under the clip to raise it - Air screws at the standard setting being 1 3/4 turns out from fully wound in. This is a set up using no airbox. If you find it is a bit rich in the mid range take one washer out. This is a safe starting point to start setting up your carbs. The other issue you may have is with the ECU or ignition box as it receives a signal from the speedo and if you remove the speedo the box may go to a default setting and restrict the revs. There are cures for this but they do vary from bike to bike. You may see derestricted ECU's on Ebay but they get mixed reviews and I have never had to use one. Let me know what you intend to build and then I may be able to prevent you making some of the mistakes I made building mine.
Stuart

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne on Thu 16 Sep - 23:37

Hi Stuart, beautiful bike you have built Very Happy
I am in the process of building one of these and would appreciate any help you could give me on making the engine run using the standard carbs and open pipes, I have the same engine as you (mc19).
cheers
Wayne

wayne
Newcomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RC162 on Fri 17 Sep - 9:07

Hi Wayne
More than happy to help. I have recently fitted the later model carbs ( MC22 ) to the bike, mainly because it is very difficult to access the balancing screws on the original carbs due to the frame tubes being in the way. The MC22 carbs have balancing screws that you can get to at the back and it's so much better. Depending on what frame you intend to use this may not be a problem for you but if you use any of the replica frames that are available they will be a problem when using the MC19 carbs. I went to Snetterton at the weekend and was hitting 18000rpm in top so the carbs were working fine with very few mods needed. Let me know what you need info wise and any advice you may want on your build.

All the very best

Stuart

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne on Fri 17 Sep - 10:10

Thanks for the quick reply Stewart,

Im thinking of buying a frame from JW motorcycles or phil denton would you advise me to get a set of MC22 carbs and use the settings you gave to Eddie in your earlier post. And could you give me the carb settings you used on your MC 19 carbs or isn't it really practical?

thanks again, trying to find information on setting up the carbs is next to impossible!

Wayne

wayne
Newcomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RC162 on Fri 17 Sep - 22:28

Hi Wayne
As regards a frame I would say the J.W. M/cs one seems to represent the best value from what I see of the prices. Don't quote me on this but they may supply Phil Denton so you would pay extra to get one from him. The carbs will be some way down the road for you but here is my set up for the MC19 round slide carbs. Main jet 115, std needles with two extra washers under them ( WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OUT YOU WILL SEE THERE IS ONE WASHER AS STD. ) air screws are factory setting as is the pilot jet. Now this is the mod you must do to get the slides to lift. When you take the slides out you will find a small hole in the bottom face. You need to drill another hole near it ( ABOUT 3MM AWAY ) and this needs to be 2mm diameter. You can't enlarge the original hole as it is next to an internal web in the slide. You need to drill in the area between where the needle fits in the slide and the outside diameter of the slide. This might sound like gobblygook but when you get it apart and have a look it should make sense. Use a new 2mm drill if possible so as to get a really clean hole. I hope this all helps.

Stuart

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RC162 on Fri 17 Sep - 22:40

This is an update for Eddie about the set up for MC22 carbs.

Hi Eddie
I have a better set up for you now, after some testing, for the MC22 carbs without any airbox.
Main jet 120, use MC19 needles with just the standard washer, factory settings for the air screws and the pilot jets. You also need to drill the two holes in the bottom of the slides to 2.5mm diameter. This will greatly help them to lift.

Stuart

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne on Fri 17 Sep - 22:41

Cheers for the quick reply Stewart, that's great info thanks for sharing. Very Happy Im sure I will suss it out, if not i hope you will give me a few extra pointers.

thanks again for the help i appreciate it

wayne
Newcomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rc162 project

Post  jinglyjangly on Mon 25 Oct - 23:00

Stuart your bike is awesome, Im just starting building mine, I took the engine out of the frame at the weekend
its an mc17 Hurricane, according to all the stuff I have read it should have 27mm carbs however 32mm carbs are fitted and
their is evidence (new screw holes)that the carb to airbox mounting plate has being modified.
I presume these carbs are off a cbr400rr.
Do you know anything about settings these up to run without airbox and with open pipes.
Im using a burgess frame,and suzuki gt750 front end and rear brake but still have to source seat, fairing,tank,shocks,
rearsets ,downpipes etc. I have a fibreglass tank from a 125 replica (I think( which is just a bit short but at a push will suffice.
But still looking for an alloy tank.)
What frame are you using?
thanks in advance

jinglyjangly
Newcomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TinTin on Tue 26 Oct - 9:55

jinglyjangly wrote:Stuart your bike is awesome, Im just starting building mine, ...
Hi jinglyjangly! thanks for posting but it would be nice to introduce yourself in our New member, start here! section and show your bike in the Show us your project! section as stated in the The rules of the forum

TinTin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

previous post

Post  jinglyjangly on Tue 26 Oct - 18:07

Sorry was excited to see the bike and didnt read the rules, have posted in new member and will post a photo of one of
my bike tomorrow when I take the picture.

jinglyjangly
Newcomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TinTin on Wed 27 Oct - 12:48

saw that, thanx! Welcome to the forum!
TinTin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RC162 on Fri 29 Oct - 10:23

Hi Jinglyjangly
Many thanks for the kind comments. I don't have any info on the set up you are using, what could well be CBR400 carbs on the CBR250 motor, but I presume it must have been running at some stage it's just a case of how well. From your description it's been running with an airbox and if you go to open carbs things will change again. Is there any chance you can get a standard set, for any model CBR250, and then I can give you a set up. The other option is to build it up and pop it on a Dyno if possible and see what's happening. I have an MC19 motor in mine and I have the MC22 carbs fitted but I got it to run on the original MC19 carbs as well. I only use the MC22 type because the balance screws are in a better place to access.

My frame is a Tigcraft replica but I had to do a lot of work to it as it wasn't a great job. The tank and seat came with it along with a swing arm that was so bad I had to bin it in the end and use a CB400F one which was better as it made the bike a little longer. ( with me being 6ft ) Same as you with the front end brake but with air scoop plates for the look and CB72 front fork assy. CB72 rear hub again with a scoop plate. Mz Skorpion radiator, that works really well.

The Burgess frame you are using, is it a replica frame or one you will modify ? Try to get an alloy tank if you can as the situation with fuel and fibre tanks is very bad. My friend runs a couple of Triumphs with fibre tanks and he's had to bin them in the end and get alloy ones made. He tried all sorts of liners for the tanks and none of them worked.

Anyway I wish you the very best of luck with the bike and I know you will get a buzz riding it once it's sorted and running well. I'll put up a few more pics in a couple of days for some ideas.

All the very best

Stuart

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Carbs and things

Post  jinglyjangly on Fri 29 Oct - 13:43

Hi Stuart, thanks for your reply, cleaned all the muck off the carbs and found some numbers they are vg05a
Guess the japanese measure the internal throat as 32mm at the external throat if you get what I mean.
The Burgess frame is a good one, I checked out several and the welding etc on the Burgess was to the highest standard.
Ive a Glass Fibre tank will try to coat it with some of the latest coatings failing that I will make sure that I dont
use the ethenal loaded petrol. (you can identify the stuff with ethanol in it by the sae number)
As im bulding a rc162 and rc172 replica's and working on the ktm engine in the
honda cbr250 rolling chassis and hoping to get my velo venom clubman back on the road need to try and keep the costs down if possible.
Where did you get the fairing? One other thing Ive not sourced yet is exhaust downpipes, I have the meggas
can you modify the existing down pipes to fit?
thaks for the tip about the scorpion rad, that means I can use the honda one on the KTM which will save making new
mounting plates.
I ll try and take some photos of the frame and post it here, Ive still to get photos of my metisse, drove it 30 miles in the
back of the van for a photoshoot on Wednesday and as soon as I arrived it started raining...

jinglyjangly
Newcomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top