Honda RC162 Replica cafe racer

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Honda RC162 Replica cafe racer

Post  RC162 on Fri 29 Oct - 21:33

Hi Jinglyjangly
VO5A are the correct carbs for the CBR250R MC19. you should be able to use these with no problems. Fairing came from Ebay. Put in Classic Honda K4 Fairing. Screens are available from them and they do a good seat as well. Pipes were made to my design as I wanted the look of the originals but many do use the CBR front pipes. Hope the pics give you some ideas. Sounds like you will be busy.

All the best

Stuart

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

brake plates

Post  eldertofu on Thu 3 Nov - 17:43

Superb bike, it has prompted me to build one. I am in the process of collecting cycle parts as I already have CBR250rr road bike as a donor.
My question is where did you get the scooped brake plates from? Are they from Classic Honda Racing?

Cheers
Tom

eldertofu
Newcomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RC162 on Thu 3 Nov - 23:37

Hi Tom
The company I got my plates from are in Norwich, Norfolk and they could well be called Classic Honda Racing. The lad I dealt with was called Stuart Branch and I believe Chris Barfe is connected to the company. They are ok but I did have to machine them to suit CB72/77 forks plus the centre of the spindle hole in the rear brake plate ( goes into a CB72/77 rear hub ) was incorrect so I had to do a few things but they worked out ok in the end. They are not buy and fit so to speak. You can buy them to run Honda parts or the Suzuki parts as I did.

Anyway if I can help you avoid any of the mistakes I made let me know. I've put a couple of links to some video of the bike in France this year and at the Festival of 1000 Bikes.

All the very best

Stuart

http://youtu.be/4GupGRIOSig

http://youtu.be/3emXCisK7aU ( I appear at 2.49 in this one. No.43 )

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TrevorHeath on Sat 13 Jul - 19:35

RC162 wrote:Hi there
            Yes it is a CBR250R MC19 engine from 1988. Getting it to run well on the standard carbs without any airbox or filters took a little bit of time and thought but I found the answer in the end. If you would like to hear it running on track then here are a couple of links to YouTube where I posted some on bike video while at a classic event in France last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lSv0oJ_mXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6N8ARdh6g

Stuart,

A few questions about your very impressive bike.

I have to pretty much internationally mail order everything I need to build my RC162 Replica. I've so far collected together the frame/forks/front brake/engine and megaphones. Thanks for the ebay lead lead for the fairing and seat.

With all the questions over the past few years, I was wondering if you had made a list of where you obtained all the parts you needed. Everything from rims, to the tank to the rear shocks even the clip on's and brake / clutch levers.

What gearing are you using in the video clip above?

Thank you and kind regards,

Trevor

TrevorHeath
Newcomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RC162 on Wed 17 Jul - 22:51

Hi there
          Sorry for the slow reply. Pretty much everything was bought from ebay and the parts I bought from suppliers like the brake plates and the pipes have all either stopped doing them or ceased trading. I took nearly four years to complete it and did lots of parts myself. If there is something that is hard to get then let me know and I will see if there is a source in the UK.  Many thanks for the compliments and here is a link to my latest run at the Festival of 1000 Bikes at Mallory Park in the UK on Sunday the 14th of July this year. This was a parade for many Honda replicas up to 500cc plus a few other types.  The gearing in this clip is 17/59.  The original CBR250 from which the motor comes runs 17/54 but on a 17" rim with a 70 profile tyre. On the replica I run an 18" rim with a 90 profile tyre so the extra 5 teeth pretty much brings it back to standard gearing. I haven't been able to source a smaller front sprocket.

All the very best  Stuart

http://youtu.be/rRQ8tUVasY0

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TrevorHeath on Sun 21 Jul - 23:33

Stuart,

Thank you for the reply and the video link. I did noticed that no one came past you Very Happy 

I've contacted Bardney for the fairing, screen and seat and Holt for a tank. Is there anyone else for a tank? 500 GBP plus postage is "up there" at about 1000 USD Shocked 

What rear shocks are you using?

My frame is a CB350F and I sat the engine in the bare frame for the first time today.

Lots of work to do for sure.

Thanks for the gearing numbers too

I have a "stock" CBR too. We took it to EL Mirage dry lake in California. It ran 119 mph on 17/51 gearing We will go back in October with 17/45 and see what it will do. Not sure if it will pull lit but we'll have to see. I have a 58T rear for short circuit track days.

Regards

Trevor

TrevorHeath
Newcomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RC162 on Mon 22 Jul - 8:52

Hi Trevor
            The price of tanks is quite high and 500 GBP is about the best price. I take it the Holt tank is in ali and not fibre ?  Peter Kyte also does tanks for around the same price but there is a long waiting list with Peter.  I have a local company who make brilliant tanks but they are even more expensive. Sadly these replicas are not a cheap exercise which is why mine took as long as it did.  Shocks are by NJB and they are reasonably priced at around 100-120 GBP but they are non adjustable. I use a 90lb spring which works fine. They are at www.njbshocks.co.uk  You will have to work the fairing to get the best fit and shape but at least the basic fairing  is a fair price.

All the best  Stuart

RC162
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TrevorHeath on Sun 28 Jul - 20:30

Stuart,

Yes the Tony Holt tank is aluminum. I now have one on order. I've also got the fairing, seat pan and windshield on order from Bardney Racing (guess where my mid year bonus went) Bardney would not ship to the states so I have to have them ship to a friend in Gloucestershire who will ship on to me. (Had the same issue with Trollop in Bristol and 428 sprockets)

So good progress this week. Now to find some rims, clip on's, levers.....

Thanks for the help, back to wacking on the 350F frame Very Happy 

Regards,

Trevor

TrevorHeath
Newcomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2