new scam method through PayPal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

new scam method through PayPal

Post  TinTin on Thu 29 Jul - 11:04

Gents!
A new scamming practice has passed my email box: instead of the by now known "paid with uncovered cheque" method there is no paying with PayPal. Sound very reliable but... buyer protection and refund policy is such that the stuff may be paid but after a short while the seller claims that:

* the bike never arrived
* the bike does not live up to his expectations and he will send it back... an it is "lost" during transport

In both scenarios the scammer gets refunded if he put in a claim with PayPal en the ammount will be drawn from your PayPal account (e.g. Credit card or bank account)

you are warned now

Here my short email conversation with the scammer (my mails in italic):
If you have one already, just send me the address to send it to, which is the email address you use for it or you can send me a paypal money request, so once i receive the details i will go ahead with the payment through PayPal and then i will contact my shipping company after you get the payment. I will need your home address for the merchandise to be Picked Up by the Shipping Company.. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking and i can't go to the bank due to the nature of my job, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap for the vehicle and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through
I would be able to make payment through paypal, i find it the easiest way to use my credit card safely and is a safe and reliable method of payment... Let me know your price for it .
I hope to hear from you soon, and i will make all transportation preparations for the it to be transported to my home.
When last was it serviced and how long have you owned it??
TinTin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new scam method through PayPal

Post  wannabe caferacer on Sun 3 Oct - 0:16

It also happens that the scammer will be sending you fake paypal emails that look genuine. In that email they say that the money that the scammer has send you, is put 'on hold' untill you have shipped the bike, or whatever you are selling, and you give paypal the tracking number of the shipment. Once the tracking number is received, the money will be released by paypal. But you will never get notified that the money will be send into your bank account, because the scammer has never send anything. By the time you figured out you have been scammed, the bike is already gone! Never trust emails that appear to come from paypal, which don't have the paypal.com domain in the email address. You should also check the headers of the emails, and trace the ip to see from which country the email was send. Very likely from Nigeria. On www.scamwarners.com you can read all about it.
wannabe caferacer
Veteran Racer

View user profile http://home.planet.nl/~dijk7262

Back to top Go down

Post  650zed on Mon 4 Oct - 11:22

Good to know, and very interesting site, this www.scamwarners.com...

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator

View user profile http://www.z650.12r.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top