The Kegler Domi......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Kegler Domi......

Post  BenG on Sun 26 Sep - 6:01

This is one of three racers Norton sent to the USA initially to race at Daytona in 1962:

After Daytona it was adopted by an employee of the U.S. Norton Distributor, Heinz Kegler. He tuned, maintained and raced the bike for 48 years. The bike is fairly original except for the addition of an Oldani front brake, a Shaftleitner 6-speed gearbox cluster, custom forged pistons and Carrillo steel connecting rods.

To race at Daytona, the A.M.A., which was the sanctioning body running the race there, required that racing motorcycles be based on production bikes of which there had to be at least 25 available for sale. So Norton took three 88ss bikes and put all the Manx and Domiracer parts onto it that they could. The engine had the large rod journal crankshaft, needle-bearing cam with hollow bucket tappets and longer pushrods, and right and left handed Amal GP2 carburettors. Brakes were standard Manx items along with special alloy tanks to fit the production frame.

Last edited by BenG on Sun 21 Nov - 0:02; edited 1 time in total

BenG
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Kegler Domi......

Post  Mingh on Thu 21 Oct - 23:13

awesome.
Now there's the real McCoy. Sorry guys but this beats 500 of them butchered hondas with checkered stripes.

You should have its story posted on bikeexif or thevintagent.

Mingh
Speed Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ton-upkid on Fri 22 Oct - 17:44

That's REALLY KOOL!
ton-upkid
Racer

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kekkauitto

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobias on Mon 25 Oct - 20:25

wooooowww

Tobias
Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mo®ten on Mon 25 Oct - 20:45

That`s more than cool, it`s the real deal
Mo®ten
GP Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BenG on Fri 22 Jul - 5:17

A friend shoots film of it running here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggb3cz3_lzo

BenG
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Very Nice Classic Racer

Post  desautdw on Sun 24 Jul - 22:57

A fine classic race bike, what the early cafe racers were copying with what they did to their own bikes. But I have to take a small exception to the member who states that it is "better than 500 butchered Hondas he has seen here" By reminding him that this forum does celebrate classic bikes, but more the riders who have taken bikes from the current era and done what they can to make them look more like these classic old race bikes and then ride the crap out of them on the real roads of whatever country we are from. This bike is a nice classic show room piece and may even be able to take a lap on "classic bike days" but it is not street legal and ridden by the proud owner and creator to get a pack of cigs or go to work every day and feel like a racer. That is what the cafe racer did and still does with their hand crafted "butchered" Hondas, Kawasakis and the like. So let's leave the editorial comments to the editors, thanks.
desautdw
Speed Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  joolzned on Tue 26 Jul - 11:23

Mingh wrote:awesome.
Now there's the real McCoy. Sorry guys but this beats 500 of them butchered hondas with checkered stripes.

You should have its story posted on bikeexif or thevintagent.

Im sorry I take offense at that. My cafe racer would have been sent to scrap had I not bought it, It cost me £300 it was missing a carb and exhaust and indicators and headlight and was very corroded, and I have spent under £400 doing it up, It goes very fast for a single cylinder bike and the handling is spot on. I have owned almost 150 bikes in my life most have been cafe racerised and from all nationality's brit, jap and others. People spend a lot of time and effort rescuing old jap bikes to give them a new lease of life. The real McCoy are the people who build the bikes.

Last edited by joolzned on Wed 27 Jul - 11:16; edited 1 time in total

joolzned
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toecutter on Tue 26 Jul - 12:07

A fine piece of nostalgia indeed!

Now about the comment of Mingh , it was not the intention of kickin someones shinbone i guess, but , a mans opinion is what is it is guys. Very Happy

have a nice day yall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum