The RatZook

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The RatZook

Post  chuckspeed on Thu 2 Dec - 0:43

I was riding my BMW R75/5 home one night, and was a bike in a driveway with a 'For Sale' sign on it.

I stopped. The bike had not been on the road in 11 years, but the engine was free and everything appeared to be there. A Suzuki GS 850 G from 1978, it had a fairing and a touring bag - and looked rather ugly.

I had a rule about buying non-running bikes - the most I would spend is USD$100.

Went to the door and inquired about price...

"I have to get rid of it, as the neighbors are complaining. I want USD$50 for it."

I had the bike home an hour later.

Took the fairing off and the touring bag - sold them online for $50, giving me, in effect, a free bike.

What to do? I added a small headlight with cafe mounts, blacked out much of the trim, punched out the baffles and bobbed the rear fender.

The result? The RatZook:

This was about ten years ago, so the bike is long gone - I sold it to the first guy in the driveway for many times what I paid for it so that we could help fund a new kitchen for the house. Personally - I would have rather kept the bike. I know it's not much - but then again, it was free!

chuckspeed
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The RatZook

Post  650zed on Thu 2 Dec - 16:01

For 50 dollars, you can't go wrong anyway...
Maybe you should have kept her, indeed, as those Suzies make real cool cafe racers, with an ace bar and a good cafe seat... But after ten years, she would probably be dead anyway...
She rests in pieces.

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator

View user profile http://www.z650.12r.org

Back to top Go down

Post  chuckspeed on Thu 2 Dec - 17:29

It didn't have many miles on it - about 11,000 if I recall.

If you look closely, the forks were dropped an inch in the triple tree to quicken the steering, the headlight was mounted low and the gauge pod was lowered. At the time I was having trouble with my back (old motorcycle injury) and I couldn't ride with clipons or ace bars.

I did want to change the seat and tail section out - but the boss wanted a new kitchen. It was a fun bike - had I kept it, it would have been nicer still.

chuckspeed
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum