The Supercharged Honda 90

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Supercharged Honda 90

Post  HmMax on Tue 4 Jan - 2:22

Thought i might post up my project for all to see

What it started as (1969 honda cd90z, in july last year):
It has a 6 volt system and the battery that came with it was dead, so to get it running i taped a 6V torch battery to the side
(and yes, it was quite gutless as i think it had seen better days)

From there, i decided to strip it down,(those shocks are what came on my cb250, as the previous owner was short, and i replaced them with original cb350 shocks, and yes they are the orignal bars turned upside down Razz )
my plans were at the time was to fit a chinese 150cc pitbike engine, make rear sets, an aluminium tank and a cafe seat

so, from there i made a mould for templates for a tank (by glueing foam together and shaping it with a breadknife and body file, which took a long time)
this is the foam template on the bike (as well as a cardboard seat and dads supercharger that is destined for his indian (at this point the supercharger was just a joke) :
those shocks on it are what are going to stay on it, i bought them at a swapmeet in 2008 for $5 (i dont know what theyre from)

since then, it has been sitting around whilst i was doing yr 11 exams and various other school related assignments

in october last year me and dad headed to the gatton swapmeet, and hence i stocked up on the neccesary parts

two front wheels: one from an rd350:
the other from a gt500: (i will be using the rd350 one)

switchblocks from a cb360 (or similar Razz)

tank from a sl125 or something ($5, and currently it is chopped in half to be used for my seat):

front forks from a cb125 (they are the same as the original forks, and are in better condition)
7 inch chrome headlight, and a headlight gauze:

also, i had purchased some parts from india, a smiths speedo and some hand controls

and this is how the bike sits now, in the corner of my shed (which is a coolroom that mum and dad let me use Razz ), with clip-ons, doherty throttle and cb125 forks

aaaand, the engine, on a stand with most of the parts taken off to be modified (the barrel will be bored out about 4-5mm, the head will be ported, the cam will have more lift, and the exhaust valve will be replaced with another inlet valve)
do you think the engine stand is sturdy enough? Razz

My plans now include:

-cut the tank out of 3mm aluminium that i have templates for (not the foam one up there^^, it is a boxy-er design, based off the 1960's honda race bikes, but holding a fair bit more fuel) and have that proffesionally tig welded
-engine work (the barrel will be bored out about 4-5mm, the head will be ported, the cam will have more lift, and the exhaust valve will be replaced with another inlet valve)
-adapt my electronic ignition that had one cylinder (of two) stuff up (from my cb250, it is still good for one of the triggers, and hence the single )
-make my seat, which will have the half of the sl125 tank as storage as well as i will be able to slide it up and down so it can be a 2 seater or a single seater
-take the rd wheel and the original rear wheel apart, paint the spokes black, the rims red and polish the hubs and then relace them
-make oil lines from the head to an oil cooler that came off a toyota hilux diesel (made of stainless, and it weighs as much as the head casting Razz) as well as make brackets for it, as it will sit beneath the engine where the original footpeg bracket went
-make rear sets (from aluminium)
-fix the headlight gauze onto the headlight shell
-adapt the mirror that came with it to make it a bar end (ive half done this already, just need to finish it off):
(original on left, cut down on right)
-cut and drill holes in an old coffee tin that is made of stainless to go over my speedo (nice and perty Very Happy )
-re-wind my stator to make the system a 12V one instead of 6V
-make brackets to hold the supercharger (this is a rough position, try to imagine the engine there Razz)
-plumb the supercharger to the engine and make a blow off valve, and attach the 32mm carby from my cb250 (and jet it correctly)
-attach sprockets onto the end of the camshaft and the supercharger for drive
-make a chainguard out of lightweight aluminium
-attach a fitting to the tappet cap and route a line from there to the drive chain (auto lube Very Happy)
-paint the frame fire engine red, polish the tank, put stripes on the tank and seat cowl
-make a leather strap to hold the tank down (like the old racers)
-cut down the front guard (and leave the rear one off)
- make and paint a plate to hold the battery in (in these models, it is inside the frame)
-make a wiring harness
-make idiot lights (neutral, high beam, indicator)
-make headlight brackets
-buy and fit tiny led indicators
-buy and fit a tail light
-mill a bit off the width of the front wheel so it fits
-buy and fit tapered steering stem bearings
-make an exhaust that is larger than original and have it ceramic coated black (as well as coat the muffler, a megaphone style)
-paint the rear shocks
-make the engine pretty Very Happy

off the top of my head thats about it,
just some more info on the running of the supercharger, it will be running about 8psi (with a 1:3 reduction from engine speed) and i will be running e85 fuel (petrol with 85% ethanol) and this will be my daily ride Very Happy

thanks for reading, i will keep this updated when i make significant changes

Max

HmMax
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Supercharged Honda 90

Post  TinTin on Tue 4 Jan - 10:10

looking good! Keep us posted on progress as I for one am very curious how the supercharger will work out
TinTin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  XS710 on Wed 5 Jan - 0:51

Brave project! (the SC part)
I hope the charger will not consume a lot of power, a turbo charger will result in more power (less consuming) but on the other hand a SC will not have the turbo-lag problem so your project will be more drivable.
Good luck!
XS710
Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HmMax on Wed 5 Jan - 7:06

Thank you,

a couple of other issues about turbo's are the sizing for the compressor is critical as well as when you down shift to slow down the turbo spools up and you get more power!

I've done some calculations on the power comsumption of the SC, and it turns out to be about 1-2 hp, which isnt much in comparison to the power i will get out of it Very Happy

Max

HmMax
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HmMax on Thu 20 Jan - 11:46

Got a tiny update,

what i've done: finished making my bar end mirror
taken the seat out of the exhaust, ready for a larger one
ordered new piston kits (one high comp. and one lower comp.)
cast an aluminium block for an oil filter/cooler

and some pictures Very Happy

this is the head in our mill, with a cutter the right size for the new seat (as i am having two inlet valves, as the supercharger can move more air, it needs larger intake/exhaust tracts)

(and freshly cut) Razz

and the difference between the intake and exhaust valves (i will have two of the inlets now, the one on the left)

to finish that off, i need to press the seat in, and machine it so it is level and then grind the angle onto the seat

My home made bar end mirror, total cost $1.50 (which is the cost of the masonry bolt Razz )

the masonry bolt goes into my clip on and expands, holding it in place

As this bike doesnt have an oil filter, i decided i might as well make/adapt one to it, so i went down to the bike shop and asked for the smallest cartridge filter, and i got what i asked for Laughing , off a KTM
then the challenge of a housing for this filter arised, and me and dad decided that a finned canister would be the best option.
We were talking about buying an offcut of extruded aluminium, but decided not too as a piece the size i wanted it (80mmx90mm) would cost a small fortune.
Fortunately dad has a customer (he is a mobile mechanic and he has many useful friends Razz ) that does bronze casting as a hobby/sells his artwork, i went over to his place thinking i was going to make my own furnace (which i still am, a tad later) but i had the oportunity to cast it there. a trip to home (to get a tin for the mould) and to the engine rebuilder (for pistons to melt down) and i was back, 2 hours later this came out:

today i have been turning it in our lathe and it is almost finished (i will have pictures of the finished piece) and the casting has turned out quite well, not much if any porosity or defects (one small one where the metal shrunk)

one last thing for this update, which is the purchase of my pistons (yes, two, just in case i have to run it NA), from suzuki scooters,
brand new complete piston kits (piston, rings, gudgeon pins, and circlips), they cost me $14 and $15 affraid

Max

HmMax
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  burner on Fri 28 Jan - 0:55

hi, max,

i do not see, the need in your project , to exchange the (smal exhaust valve) for a bigger (inlet valve)
normaly at cruise speed there is no power needed, and the engine is act like normal.
at hi power use, there is more volume into the cylinder but there is only one way to get out,
and this is happend under force..., mybe you could use a little bigger exhaust valve from another bike.
but i would never use a inlet valve , it is most of the time other material, and could not working with the heat like a normal
exhaust valve would.

burner
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HmMax on Fri 28 Jan - 3:53

yes, i had thought about the design and material of the inlet valve and asked an engine rebuilder/fitter-machinist who reconditions motors and he said it would be fine as an exhaust valve.
the main reason i am using an inlet valve for it is that it would be very hard to find a suitable sized exhaust valve, and a pair of valves for this motor is only $15.
i can see what you mean by "what is the point?" but in my opinion the exhaust valve is too small to pass the volume of air efficiently, and besides, i had the equipment and the know-how to do it anyway Very Happy

(you might even ask why have a supercharger? Razz all for the fun of it!, and to be different also Laughing )

mas

HmMax
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  burner on Sat 29 Jan - 20:46

o.k. you know there are special tools for honda to recondition the valve's
pilots, and valve seat cutters... special for the 50-125 cc honda.
and you could examine the valve's by a magnet.
exhaust use to be no-manetic
greetings burner

burner
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HmMax on Thu 3 Feb - 11:19

hmm, you have me thinking now,
i might go hunting for stainless valves Very Happy

i might add a tiny update too, i have finished (apart from plumbing) my oil filter housing (my little dalek Razz )

i've also had the top and sides of my tank welded up and made the other parts (now i am just waiting for the tank cap and taps for it all to be fully welded up),
this is it sitting roughly where it will, i'm going to add rubber knee pads that will sit on the rear box, hiding some of the space)

and finally, i have taken the engine apart to be cleaned and for the barrel to be bored out (the machinist was complaining about boring it out to 53.5mm, as the od of the part that goes into the barrel is only 56mm Razz)

thats about it for now,
max

HmMax
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: