there's a new kid in town!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

there's a new kid in town!

Post  GS850 on Sun 23 Jan - 0:00

HI!

i'm a 30 year old gearhead from belgium and recently someone gave me (that's right, gave me) a 1979 Suzuki GS 850!
the engine needs a bit of love and affection but hey, it runs! problem is, i'm more into American Muscle and have been working on cars for a few years now so i've never actually driven let alone worked on a motorbike...
i'm planning to bring the bike to a bikeshop so i can let a pro handle the engine but when it turns the way i want it to it's getting "café'd"
there is one issue though: with it's 4 cilinders it's pretty front-heavy so when cruizing and taking a slight turn the frontwheel tends to tilt pretty hard so i'm afraid it might be a little hard to handle when mounting a set of clip-ons... anyone had the same problem before?
also, what type of tank would give it the best look and is it possible to re-locate the rear-brake-paddle and the gear-paddle more to the back so the sitting-position on the bike is improved.

[url][/url]
GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: there's a new kid in town!

Post  GS850 on Sun 23 Jan - 0:04

pics!

GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  soul surfer 420 on Sun 23 Jan - 11:16

hay man , cool bike and very lucky to be just given one!!!!, i had a GS a long time ago and loved the handling , but im a little concerned when you say the front wheel tilts?? when the bike is on its stand and the wheel is facing forward if you grab the wheel with both hands (make sure the front end is locked so it cant move) if you try to rock the wheel from side to side, if there is any form of movement which may couse the tilt then i would take a real close look at your front hub and make sure that the bearings are ok and everything down there is fine, because riding it with a messed up front hub is an accident waiting to happen!, good luck with the peoject!
soul surfer 420
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Front Tilt?

Post  desautdw on Sun 23 Jan - 18:57

I agree! Not exactly sure what you mean by "tilt" but if the front end flops to one side or the other or both, may have bad steering head bearings or if it is to one side more than the other, could be problem with one or the other fork tubes (lack of fluid, slightly bent so sticking or internal problems). You can usually tell about the steering head bearings by putting the bike up on the centerstand and slowing turning bars from side to side. If you feel a notchiness (bumps) in the steering action or if you pull on the top of the fork tubes and there is some back and forth movement then it is probably steering head bearings. If the wheel actually moves sideways when the fork is held still then the last comment on wheel bearings or fork damage itself is probably the issue. DO NOT RIDE AT ANY SPEED ABOVE WALKING PACE> Get it checked out and fixed first.
desautdw
Speed Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  650zed on Mon 24 Jan - 12:37

Welcome!

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator

View user profile http://www.z650.12r.org

Back to top Go down

Post  GS850 on Fri 28 Jan - 14:43

no worries! that's not what i ment :-) it's just because the bike is so heavy, when you take a corner (at slow speed) you can feel the weight of the bike directly transmitted to the handlebars so that's why i'm afraid that when using clip-ons it's gonna be too hard to hold on! take this little test and you'll see what i mean: stand next to your bike and gently let it tilt towards you, you'll see the handlebars turn to your right (if you're standing on the left) but maybe i'm just being a little baby about it and just have to hold on better...
also, the clutch-handle seems to be pretty darn hard to pull so my hand cramps up real soon, is this normal for this bike or should i just change the cable ?
GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  soul surfer 420 on Fri 28 Jan - 15:16

at slow speeds most bikes tend to feel quite heavy but at speed you will be happy at how nimble it feels, if you are worried at all you can always fit a steering damper which will firm up the movement of the front end, i think what you need most is seat time on a smaller bike just to get used to the way they feel when on the move. as for the clutch a cable swap will help regardless but i would also take a quick look at the clutch itself just in case.
soul surfer 420
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GS850 on Fri 28 Jan - 19:32

yea, i've been talking to a friend and he says the same, maybe start out with the original handles, get the feel of the bike, and fit the clip-ons later. it will take a little getting used to i guess! also, this bike has no chain, it uses a cardan -or propeller shaft, now i've heard this can give troubles when cornering... anyone with any bad experiences?
GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rocker on Fri 28 Jan - 19:39

Welcome GS850!
No worries about the weight distribution at low speed when steering. the new clipons won't be of much infulence if you ask me cause the 'levrage' stays the same if you use clipons with the same length, no mather where you put them on your forks. the same for M handlebars...
A cafe was originally ment for speed, so you won't do to many turns at low speed Wink Wink
cheers Rocker

Rocker
Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GS850 on Tue 1 Feb - 20:39

well, i had an "expert" take a look at it today and indeed, there seems to be a problem with one of the bearings! good news, as it means after changing it, the steering will improve big time! i also gutted the exhaust :-) that was fun! i'll keep you guys informed, no doubt, i will have a lot more questions!
GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toecutter on Fri 4 Feb - 18:22

Welcome man , enjoy it hre and much succes on the Suz!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GS850 on Sat 5 Feb - 20:55

hah! the more i take off, the better it looks!

GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  650zed on Tue 8 Feb - 18:08

GS850 wrote:hah! the more i take off, the better it looks!

That's the spirit!

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  number8wire on Fri 11 Feb - 12:12

hey fellow gs'r! Not sure if you've discovered it yet but the GSResources is a u.s. based site with a wealth of info on gs series suzis.

http://www.thegsresources.com/

Don't hold back with the clip-ons.. just be careful to adjust your steering stops, otherwise you risk denting your tank!!! (I learnt the hard way)

here's a picture of my solution.. 2 tapped holes either side of the original stops with a couple of stainless socket head screws in place acting as spacers..
number8wire
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GS850 on Fri 11 Feb - 17:37

haha, indeed! i was warned for this :-) good, so i don't have to find out the hard way :-)
there's another thing keeping me up at night, is it possible to move the footbrake and gearshift backwards so the sitting position on the bike gets improved? is it just a lot of drilling and grinding or ar there ready-to-fit solutions available for this? some sort of triangle-system perhaps, i don't know... i've seen it on pictures but never any close-ups... thx for the site! i'll check it out now!
GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  number8wire on Fri 11 Feb - 22:53

This isn't exactly a cheap option but I bought a set and havn't looked back.. they just bolt on!

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-301/Rearsets-Folding-Rubber-Footpegs/Detail
number8wire
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GS850 on Mon 14 Feb - 21:46

nice! at least now i know it exists! now i can start saving...
GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GS850 on Wed 16 Mar - 0:15

number8wire wrote:This isn't exactly a cheap option but I bought a set and havn't looked back.. they just bolt on!

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-301/Rearsets-Folding-Rubber-Footpegs/Detail

i checked it out and it seems to be a GS750 rearset..i've looked for the 850 set but i'm afraid it doesn't exist... did you mount it on a GS850 or a 750? would there be a difference? i mailed the guy from the site but he sais he doesn't know...
GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  number8wire on Wed 16 Mar - 1:09

I have a 1978 gs750 ec but I know a LOT of parts are interchangeable.. if you compared part numbers on the footpegs for example this may make it clearer(perhaps check the brake pedal and gear lever as well)
number8wire
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

after 3 days of polishing...

Post  GS850 on Fri 6 May - 9:54

i just spend about 3 days polishing the fueltank, anyone know of any good clear finish varnish i can use on polished metal?

GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

picture update!

Post  GS850 on Mon 13 Jun - 17:43

finally got the tomaselli clipons!

And the K&N's!

The seat needed a little adjusting...

lookin' better by the minute!
GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toecutter on Mon 13 Jun - 18:21

Hey man nice work, about that clear varnish on polished metal, ive heard lots of people say its not the best thing to do, cuz it can rust underneath or slightly oxidate... Also the shine goes away when you coat it. If your going tru with this you better place your tank upon a heather or something similar (for a day or 2) and let it 'breath' out the remaining 'damp' in the metal. This procedure goes for aluminium and other softer parts. Dunno of its needed on metal.

cheers

p.s. : i love those gs750 bocks , big and raw, and plenty of parts to polish !!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toecutter on Mon 13 Jun - 19:43

Btw, i strongly suggest you put up a new topic in the Project corner, so you can detail out on your progress, any questions best be posted in the technical part. Also you asked a tech ques. in here, your introduction, i replied on it but better put it where it belongs my fellow greasmonkey.

cheers and have a blast.

Toecutter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  650zed on Tue 14 Jun - 7:07

Toecutter wrote:Btw, i strongly suggest you put up a new topic in the Project corner, so you can detail out on your progress, any questions best be posted in the technical part.
Yep, I agree with Toecutter.
It would be nice if you would keep on in the "Project" section, as this one is only meant for brief introductions.

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  GS850 on Wed 15 Jun - 11:48

ah yes, got carried away i'm afraid :-) you'll find me there!
GS850
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top