TR1 /XV920 Sixties Cafe Racer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TR1 /XV920 Sixties Cafe Racer

Post  Beachcomber on Sat 14 May - 23:17

Here's my latest project - a Sixties styled Cafe Racer based on Yam TR1 / XV920.

Being a child of the day [ born 1944 ] I wanted the bike to be as true as possible to the Sixties styling. So - it had to have wire spoked ali wheels, relevant bodywork, clip-ons, rearsets etc.

Caused a bit of a headache at first, but I finally got hold of suitable hubs and most of the hardware was readilly available. There was no tank that would come anywhere near without drastic cutting and reshaping of the frame. I didn't want to go down the route of chopping a Featherbed frame in half [ why?] or making up a completely new frame. So I eventually decided on the AJS7R TT tank as a base style and set about foaming up and reshaping a cover to go over the stock TR1 tank.

So here we are 2 weeks into the project - with wheels mocked up awaiting a Grimeca 4LS front hub/brake and the ali rims and stainless spokes. Body is pretty well mocked up, although I've made some slight shape mods to the tank and the seat is now 2" lower at the back as it was looking a bit too "70's".

I've lowered the forks by 2" to give a better rake and steering angle and shortened the wheelbase to give me a slightly more sporting 58.5". I may reduce that by another .5" - 1".

I'm building a second version that will run the twin discs shown in the mock up.

I've just bought a spare engine to start a mild tuning job and the exhaust is being made up to exit in a single siamesed pipe on the right with a Stainless steel Gold Star style silencer.

I'm hoping to re-establish contact with some Dutch guys I spoke to about 6 weeks ago - just before I had a computer meltdown. There's another 3-4 TR's out in Holland I'm hoping to buy and collect this Summer.
Beachcomber
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TR1 /XV920 Sixties Cafe Racer

Post  Toecutter on Sun 15 May - 10:01

I'm curious , no doubt !

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kornfed on Sun 15 May - 14:15

This looks very promising.
Good job sofar. I like the seat. It fits very nice in line whith the bike.
The tank is big, but whith a smart coloursheme it looks very good.
kornfed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beachcomber on Sun 15 May - 17:37

Yes, big problem with the tank unless I modify the frame in a big way ! However, I have already taken another 20mm from the lower rear which has had the visual effect of slimming it down. The tank is also quite slim, so with some pin striping, etc. I should be able to lose the bulk a bit. The answer will be a mk.2 tank, which will be the same shape but 2/3 rds scale. That will mean a complete tank rather than a cover - which is a lot more work and expense. I think I'd rather wait until I have the funds available to have a tank made in aluminium.

There will also be a stainless steel tank strap - a la Manx which should also help to break up the bulk. That said - a 6 gallon AJS 7R TT tank IS big !

For some reason I can only view half the pic I loaded - here's a smaller version.

Beachcomber
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beachcomber on Sun 15 May - 17:43

Ok that didn't seem to work! I'm still only viewing 1/2 the pic.

Here's a view of the tank forming underway - you can see from this the tank is not so large as it appears in the side pic.. The fact that the filler is a satin white doesn't help as the pic loses the effect of the knee indents.

When I've modded the bottom of the tank, I'll shoot it in high build primer / filler for the final shaping andthat will hopefully give a better idea.

Beachcomber
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beachcomber on Mon 16 May - 12:10

kornfed wrote:This looks very promising.
Good job sofar. I like the seat. It fits very nice in line whith the bike.
The tank is big, but whith a smart coloursheme it looks very good.

Kornfed,

couldn't agree more, and it's been bugging me.

However, I now know why - check out my original cardboard sillouette plant ons........
At least 1" - 2" shallower than the finished article.

My pal had a couple of university post grad guys in his workshops for work experience and asked if they could do the job as part of their portfolio - they're also doing bodywork design for a Reverse Y Trike we're building.

Yea, guess 8 out of 10 guys, but I aim to finish the shaping off myself!

I put on a piece of blacked out card to represent the amount I can take back off - and suddenly the tank no longer looks like a pregnant Whale, in fact I am really pleased with it as it was after all what I had in mind in the first place!

Beachcomber
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckyboy on Wed 18 May - 3:41

Hi and thanks for sharing your TR1 build... Very Happy
Am looking forward to the exhausts..
I guess you know the smaller 750 shaftie tank goes straight on...
anyway it will progress well I can see you a real TR1 guy, me too... cheers

Luckyboy
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beachcomber on Wed 18 May - 12:16

Thanx for the encouragement Luckyboy - can't believe it's taken me all this time to see the potential in the TR1 / XV920 [ oh - and 750!].

The more I work on it - the more I can't wait to see it finished! Have to take my though - this one has to be "right".

Here's the mock up for the pipes - there'll probably be a slip joint on the back pipe next to the rocker oil feed - that will also allow us to fit a heat shield, don't want to boil the rocker oil ! Before anyone beats me up - I know the pipes aren't equal length, but we have very little space to play with. The rear wheel / tyre is coming forward about 50mm to reduce the wheelbase [ about 57" ] and won't leave enough space for the rear pipe in the normal position.

My pal is working on the tank - we can raise the lower edge by 12mm at the front and 20mm at the rear.

We realised about the shaftie tanks AFTER we had done all the work ................... Embarassed Embarassed .

However, we'll take a second shell out of the finished mould and attach it to a Shaftie tank to see how much we can alter the shape / reduce the size. Cool

Last edited by Beachcomber on Wed 18 May - 12:19; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : picture didn't load last time)
Beachcomber
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beachcomber on Fri 20 May - 0:42

The Grimeca 4LS hubs / brakes arrived today .................... have to lie down in a dark room ........................
Beachcomber
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beachcomber on Wed 8 Jun - 19:08

Been busy with small parts for the past week. Here's a pic of the Grimeca front 4LS hub. Laughing The XS650 rear is being polished and then I'll send them both off for building - 2.15" x 18" front and 3.00" x 18" rear - flanged alloy rims.

I hope [ really ! ] to have the tank shape finalised by next week. Embarassed

I just managed to score another TR1 - 1983 and in mint condition - 500 a bargain.

I'll probably use this one for the Mk.2 version with twin disc front, and the XV920 I'll pull completely down and start looking at engine tuning. I already have some excellent low mileage TR1 pistons / rings and have some good ideas about cam timing now I've spoken to the TR1 gurus on other sites.

Beachcomber
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Beachcomber on Tue 19 Jul - 16:22

Things have been a bit slow, but the hubs are off for wheelbuilding - WM3 x 18 front and WM5 x 18 rear.

The tank finally looks OK, and with some judicious pinstripping [ Gold on Black ] should really help to visually slim the tank down. cheers

The side panels will be pattern made in the next few weeks and that should be most of the prototyping completed then.

Beachcomber
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mg on Tue 19 Jul - 21:54

the gastank looks very good
nice job
mg
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down