Norwegian GSX-project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Norwegian GSX-project

Post  jacomoto on Tue 5 Jul - 18:58

My project is starting with a GSX 750 ET from 1981 that looks very "custom" at the moment.... Cool
It has a tank from some Suzuki "L" model, custom seat, repro harley rear fender and light, custom top yoke with risers and it is lowered in the rear with shorter shocks. I want to transform it in to something more like a cafe racer Very Happy ,obviously since I am here Cool .

I plan to put back the original tank, just have to get rid of som rust in it... And I guess that I have to rise the suspension in the back, or it will look like a dragbike Mad

The seat must be fixed in some way, maybe custom build something like this....

Any advise will be appreciated

Some pics of the ride today...

jacomoto
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Norwegian GSX-project

Post  Toecutter on Tue 5 Jul - 19:33

Yes , definitely a strip and a build up needed here to bring her to a state she's worthy roaming the street.

succes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacomoto on Sat 8 Oct - 2:37

A little update...

To mush other things to be done so my project is going slower than I want Mad

I have got a new tank and stripped of some parts. The tank is actually the original for this bike Wink . The rear shocks are swapped with some with the normal height and I got my hands on som clip-ons from a Honda NSR 125 that slipped right on my fork (35mm). Put on some new grips too. The headlamp will be lowered and I may also put on som rubber gaitors on the fork. Havenīt desided what to do with the rear end yet. Probably will be custom making a one seater type with fiberglass... Any suggestions??

My goal now is to get all the parts I need and adapt them to the bike. Winter, and snow No , is on its way and hopefully I can finish it of before spring... Cool

Some pictures of the bike now:

jacomoto
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ProTouring442 on Sat 8 Oct - 17:28

I am also building my own seat cowl. You can check out my thoughts here: http://classicbikes.actieforum.com/t2370-kz750-twin

Cool little project, I like the tank!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

ProTouring442
Novice Racer

View user profile http://www.right-hat.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jacomoto on Sat 8 Oct - 22:00

Thanks Bill Very Happy

I saw your tread on your "hybrid" project yesterday and really liked it Very Happy. I was wondering what kind of glue you where using to put the blue insulation foam together... Wink .

Have tried out some thoughts on a foto. It looks like this:

Will get a small rear light to put under it, and need space for the plate too... The law donīt allow sidemounted ones here Rolling Eyes
jacomoto
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re : Norwegian gsx project.

Post  bonnie boy on Mon 10 Oct - 11:21

Nice to see another GS being transformed . I like the tank colour.
I have just aquired a 650 Katana and will post some pics as soon as I can figure out how to.
But for now I am enjoying viewing the forum looking for Inspiration.

Cheers cheers
bonnie boy
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacomoto on Thu 13 Oct - 20:33

Next step in my building prosess will be moulding a new seat pan...

Preparation for moulding.
I have put a 6mm plywood board on top of the air box to make a little space between it and the seat. Covered all with aluminum tape. I use this because the polyester will not stick on to it, and my pan will come off easy... I hope Cool . The hump is for a little space to the rear wheel of course Rolling Eyes . Used the original inner fender but lowered it a bit.

Starting the moulding

Next layer

After three layers I call it a day. It should now harden while I go to work. I will have to reinforce it with some more layers, but not today.
I am doing this work outside because of the smelling... Have to hurry a little before it gets to cold. This morning we had -2,5 C...Brrrrr.

Havenīt decided what shape the seat will get yet..... Any ideas anyone??
jacomoto
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ProTouring442 on Thu 13 Oct - 21:31

jacomoto wrote:Thanks Bill Very Happy

I saw your tread on your "hybrid" project yesterday and really liked it Very Happy. I was wondering what kind of glue you where using to put the blue insulation foam together... Wink .

Will get a small rear light to put under it, and need space for the plate too... The law donīt allow sidemounted ones here Rolling Eyes

The wrong kind! Very Happy I used a spray contact adhesive, but I had to use it quite sparingly as it melts the foam. I would think a construction glue would work well, or even old fashioned wood glue.

The next problem is that polyester resin will melt the foam. In my case, I will be using epoxy resin. Frankly, I think it holds up better anyway, though it is more expensive.

As for the rear light, don't worry about having to put it on the back. They look better there anyway. More balanced looking than those hang off the sides deals.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

ProTouring442
Novice Racer

View user profile http://www.right-hat.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Fonz on Thu 13 Oct - 22:03

This might help..I spent years making custom windsurf boards and repairing surfboards..I laminated every day with both polyester and epoxy. If you are using a building foam which is a polystyrene mixture you will have to use epoxy resin. You can also use expanding foam to fix it together.
If you can get your hands on some polyurethane foam, the classic surfboad foam ( Clark foam etc ) it is fanatstic for shaping, especially for moulds. It is fine and easy to cut and shape, and sand, and will leave a much better finish for laminating on to, as it is a closed-cell foam. You can then use either epoxy or polyester resin to laminate with. Polyester will be lots cheaper, and a lot more liquid to soak...Good luck..

Fonz...
Fonz
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacomoto on Thu 13 Oct - 22:28

Thanks both of you Very Happy.

Now I just have to figure out what shape the rear end will get.... Tough one ... I could need some inspiration Laughing

Take care

jacomoto
Lazy Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  suzimark on Fri 14 Oct - 18:25

The white seat you have mocked up Very Happy Very Happy this is the way to go in my opinion, it go's realy well with the tank. Could be a little bit smaller but the shape is great Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by suzimark on Fri 14 Oct - 18:27; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : no reason)
suzimark
Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum