Honda CB750F2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Honda CB750F2

Post  Riko on Mon 12 Jan - 1:45

As I've said in my New Member post, I was busy collecting café-items for my CB750F2 since quite a long time. Besides this, I've had some parts from previous bikes I've also kind of café'd. Despite this, I kept driving around on my fairly stock, slightly ratted motorcycle. This was because I don't really believe in racers with stock tanks, but with the clipons etc. I wanted to do the full deal in one sitting. This all being said, I believe the time has come to start the transformation. I have the backstepkit, I just acquired the large tank and the clipons. The seat will be made by myself and today I noticed I also needed some frontlight-ears.

This all being said, first a small photo of my first sort-of caferacer.

You will probably have noticed the fondness I have towards ratbikes? I first believed I had to make a crossover between a caferacer and a ratbike, so this bike later had the clipons and stuff to give it more the racy look. This didn't work at all, so thankfully the engine died on me and I got to move on. The clipons will go on the present motor though.

The motorcycle which is on the surgeon's table is this one:

This week I got a large tank from Rocket-caferacerparts in Odoornerveen. It took some time to figure out how to make the brackets, since I don't want to weld on my frame I had to think of something else. Eventually this proved to be a piece of cake and I expect to finish this tomorrow. I'll also install the clipons tomorrow, but than I have to start thinking about the seat.

I don't want to make a standard seat with a lump at the end, since I don't want to build a standard caferacer but just a mean testosteronemachine to compensate for my physical negative points. So I'll probably put the hacksaw in one of my old moped seats. I have a chaly seat, but I don't own a chaly, easy maths there. Weld some brackets to the seatpan and than redo the cover (or find some girl to do it for me, for best results). After this all I have to do is figure out how to install the backstepkit, since the kit is made for every motorcycle out there, except for mine ofcourse. When all this is done I'll start thinking about paint and stuff like that, that's hardly interesting at this point.

Despite of what I've said in Harton's topic, I will post a picture, even though I haven't made any real progress yet.

Riko
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Honda CB750F2

Post  Crazy Cavan on Mon 12 Jan - 1:57

Hey Riko, nice project. Curious how it's gonna turn out.
Do you still own some mopeds? I don't know if you remember me from 4tmsb. Still ashame that the cops took your rat-ss.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hofman on Mon 12 Jan - 12:03

Hey Riko,

I will be watching your project very closely!
I'm curious about your tank from Rocket caferacerparts.

Is it the same as they have on their site? The polished alu big one for the CB750?

I'm building a CB750 too, and it is coming to an end one of these months.
Hofman
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Riko on Mon 12 Jan - 12:34

Crazy Cavan wrote:Hey Riko, nice project. Curious how it's gonna turn out.
Do you still own some mopeds? I don't know if you remember me from 4tmsb. Still ashame that the cops took your rat-ss.

Hey Cavan,
Yes I do remember you from the 4tmsb and I believe I also saw you at some events (I believe the Eisbarrit in Utrecht?). It's indeed a pity the police had to take my SS, I really loved that bike and drove everywhere with it. For those who don't know (I believe pretty much everybody else on this board). Here's a picture:

At the moment I still own two Honda CD50's, one completely stock in candy red, another with motorcycle papers, 122cc and a disk brake.

Hofman wrote:Hey Riko,

I will be watching your project very closely!
I'm curious about your tank from Rocket caferacerparts.

Is it the same as they have on their site? The polished alu big one for the CB750?

I'm building a CB750 too, and it is coming to an end one of these months.

Hi Hofman,

I truely don't know too much about the big racetanks from the '70s, though I did think the alu one from their site was for a CR750 and is from a different type. Ronald from Rocket is also on this forum, perhaps he knows more.

Riko
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toecutter on Mon 12 Jan - 17:55

I love the rat SS ! idd a damn shame....succes with the build of your CB750 Riko
Toecutter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Riko on Thu 15 Jan - 18:11

I've finally made some (small) progress on the bike.

Most of the paint is removed from the backfender and the engine. The tank is now fitted and the brackets are glued in. I used some old wheeltubes of bicycles to hopefully dampen the vibrations. It took quite some time and testfitting to get it right. I have to do everything outsite on the porch and usually in the dark of night. This slows progress consideratly. Besides this I noticed I've 'lost' some tools over the years.

This being said, I'm still looking for a 'petrolcrane' for the tank (petrolcrane, this can't be right). The problem is that the tank opening has a large diameter, 22mm so I'm having problems finding the above mentioned thing. If anybody has the above mentioned item or knows what item should fit, please let me know.

On a side note, I've found some tommasseli headbrackets, so I should be able to mount those and the clip-ons... Which I can't mount because I have to go buy a tool that everybody is supposed to have.

This tool is necessary to remove this nut:

And a photo of the brackets:

And the last for now, I've started on the seat. The rough work is done, now to match it to the frame and make it connect to the tank.

On this picture the paint is still on the engine and backfender. You'll notice the pictures seem out of sync, this is because I still drive the bike every day. It's my only means of transport besides a racing bicycle. I mock everything up and start adjusting, at the end of the night I place all the original parts so I can transport myself back home. The rebuild is done at my parent's place, since I live in quite a busy shopping street myself and all I have to work are the front curbs.

That's it for now, hope to start making some more progress soon.

Riko
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toecutter on Thu 15 Jan - 18:16

Nice brackets , keep us informed Riko Very Happy Pitty you cant work at your own place Wink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Riko on Thu 15 Jan - 19:19

I also had a question for the lot here, how did you remove the brackets which hold the steer in place? Should look a lot better without those on my triple trees.

Riko
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hofman on Fri 16 Jan - 22:31

Hey Riko,

I removed them with a angle grinder (haakse slijper)
First just cut off the large possible part with a thin blade.
Then a thicker blade for the rest.
If you want to do it good, you should use a radial blade disc (lammelenschijf) for the last bit.

If have photo's off it on my project (Dutch Honda CB 750 F1)
If you want the same holder for the controllights and a single clock check the Selling Parts.
The four holes I have in them. The come when you grind to far.

Good luck. It is a little bit of work.
Hofman
Veteran Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Riko on Mon 19 Jan - 2:27

Thanks Hofman for your reply, I hope I'll get to it soon. Rocket suggested a T500 "above mentioned item" for my gastank. I've had some smalltalk with an owner of a T500 and this should also be 22mm. Hope to close the deal on one of those soon. This being said, I've made no further progress so I don't have to tell you anything more.

Riko
Novice Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marc on Tue 20 Jan - 23:20

Cool Cool

I have seen a picture of you cb360 ratbike on the motorforum! Awesome bike!
marc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum