El Mirage season opener

View previous topic View next topic Go down

El Mirage season opener

Post  exAdm on Fri 30 May - 9:46

[Message from Noisy Norton, moved to this new section by Admin]

Don't know if this is the right forum. We went to the El Mirage dry lake May meet. It was, as always, a great time. Very hot. 106 f. Saturday and cooled down to 102 f. on Sunday. Took a few photos that I thought I'd post here.

This is a twin Harley machine. The unpainted body work was added as the original bodywork had a tendency to lift the rider at over 300kph. It ran 315kph and has run over 350kph at Bonneville.
[img][/img]

Shinya Kimura brought his Knuckle bobber. Had a few problems. Only ran 152kph. He has run faster.
[img][/img]

Scott Baxter ran 132kph with his '47 350 BSA.
[img][/img]

Fritz Kott's supercharged '55 500 Triumph. 179kph

[img][/img]

Dave Anderson flew in from North Carolina to ride my Norton. He managed a respectable 197kph. Not bad as it was his first time out on the bike.
[img][/img]

A very nice '41 Indian 500 sidevalve. It ran 134kph in the vintage class.

[img][/img][img][/img]

And a well packed sardine. Fritz Kott strapping him in. Didn't hear how he ra.

[img][/img]
exAdm
Novice Racer

View user profile http://classicbikes.actieforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: El Mirage season opener

Post  650zed on Fri 30 May - 9:50

Eeeh...! Nice to hear that your Norton is still doing well!
197kph is more than all right, especially on this kind of ground. Even if you already did better!
This El Mirage dry lake meeting is annual, right? I wish I could see one edition, one day, but it's quite far/expensive to fly over from Europe...
Still, that "sardine", on the last photo, is amazing... Honestly, I wonder how the guy manages to ride (drive?) this, lying down like that, on his back... Not exactly my cup of tea
By the way, were you just there in the audience, why didn't you participate this time ?

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator

View user profile http://www.z650.12r.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Noisy Norton on Fri 30 May - 12:54

I should have said that El Mirage runs 6 times a year. May to July and Sept. to Nov. August is Bonneville SpeedWeek. Last year at Bonneville I was teasing Dave saying he needs to come out to El Mirage and ride a real bike. By the way he has a stunning 1955 BSA Gold Star. Last January I got an e-mail from him saying he was going to come out for the May meet. North Carolina is a long ways to come so I didn't ride inorder to give him as much seat time as possible. Being the "crew" rather than the rider did give me a different and enjoyable perspective. The "sardine" is Derek McLeish. The machine was originally built as a streamliner sidecar but it is convertable to a four wheeler. Which was the mode he was running. As a streamliner sidecar he has had a Harley in it and ran 305kph at Bonneville last year. Not bad for a sardine!!
Noisy Norton
Speed Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  650zed on Fri 30 May - 13:13

Noisy Norton wrote: North Carolina is a long ways to come so I didn't ride inorder to give him as much seat time as possible. Being the "crew" rather than the rider did give me a different and enjoyable perspective.

I understand, you did right of course. And you're right: being in the crew leaves you probably much more space and time to look around and check how smooth (or not) everything goes. You don't get that space when you're busy doing your best to produce some results...

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Noisy Norton on Fri 30 May - 22:59

About four years ago I built this starter. Bad knees and 14:1 compression with 36 deg. fixed igniton advance don't allow me to kick start the Norton anymore. I had never used it before as I was the rider not the starter. So it was interesting to be on the starter end of things. I didn't realize how much effort was required to get the motor over compression. Plus the SCTA don't allow machines to be driven back to the oits under their own power. They have to be towed or trailered back. We have a couple of new club members that didn't have return transport so I was towing them back as well. A busy but very enjoyable weekend.

[img][/img]
Noisy Norton
Speed Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Noisy Norton on Sat 28 Jun - 22:05

An update. At the June meet John Noonan rode his 1300cc turbo'ed, unfaired, fuel burning Hayabusa to a new absolute motorcycle record for El Mirage dry lake. 240.197mph (384kph I think)!!

[img][/img]
Noisy Norton
Speed Racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  650zed on Sun 29 Jun - 21:03

384 km/h??!

z650 Kawa Power
650zed
Administrator